Thursday, December 29, 2011

Grandma's Cats & a New Addition to Our Family!

Happy Holidays! We have some exciting news.... we have a new addition in our pet family! While we currently have two cats, Alta and Targhee, we have adopted the third and final member of our pet family, TomCat. TomCat comes from Farmville, Va from my Grandma's home. Grandma passed last month leaving behind three sweet little kitties. Zimba, Tinkerbell and TomCat. Zimba and Tinkerbell are 18 years old and 20 years old and are still looking for homes if you are interested. Please let me know!

And now for TomCat's introduction: TomCat was a stray that my grandma took in sometime in 2009. When Courtney and I met him in October 2010, we couldn't get over how sweet of a cat he was and personable for being a stray, and we also couldn't get over his "problem". He had previously been hit by a car (or so the vet thinks) and his jaw and teeth were all screwed up and infected. He couldn't really eat, but somehow managed to get enough food in him to stay alive. Even while at my grandmas. Grandma didn't really know what to do with him even though we suggested taking him to the vet. It wasn't until this past summer after my dad frequently visiting grandma while she was getting sicker and sicker, that dad decided to do something about his "problem". Dad took TomCat to the vet, who eventually underwent surgery and had all the teeth on the left side of his mouth removed. He is no longer in pain, and has healed up nicely! TomCat, all the while had no name. So it wasn't until shortly before grandma died did she (or my dad?) named him TomCat.

After grandma's passing, I knew how much this cat had helped grandma in her last moments here on earth being there for her when she was home alone recovering, and I knew how much my dad took a liking to him and really cared for his well being, so we decided to explore the option of adopting him. He is 8 years old (not too much older than our cats- now 1.5 years and 1.3 years old) and he was so personable and sweet so he will likely get along with them. So the day my dad told me he had TomCat in the car and was driving him to PA where he would live for 3-4 weeks in the basement (dad is allergic to cats), was when I called SouthWest and booked TomCat his first ever (and hopefully last) flight home with us from our Christmas vacation to PA.

And so, what I consider one of our best Christmas presents: Welcome to our family, TomCat! It is a pleasure to have you!



No comments:

Post a Comment