Friday, December 9, 2011

First Dance

When Courtney first asked me the main things I wanted out of our wedding day, the traditions or events I wouldn't want to give up, one of my answers was the first dance (along with a father/daughter dance). Every girl dreams of that first dance with her prince charming after tying the knot.

Courtney and I kind of have "our song". When we first started dating, we went to Las Vegas to attend a wedding of Courtney's childhood friend, Kim. It was a beautiful wedding, with good company and a beautiful setting. During the reception, the first slow song that came on was one of my favorite songs- Eric Clapton, wonderful tonight. Through the corner of my eye, I peaked Courtney getting out of his chair and was so excited for him to ask me to dance- but instead, I watched him stroll across the dance floor and ask Kim to dance. While I sat there, I enjoyed watching him dance with Kim (it was really sweet), but inside my heart was breaking because all I wanted to do was to have my first slow dance with my boyfriend. Let alone to one of my favorite songs. But all was good. A little later Courtney asked me what was wrong (because then I didn't really want to dance) and I told him that I had hoped he would ask me to dance to that song. A little while later I came out of the bathroom down the hall from the banquet room and the hall was empty with Courtney standing there, as I came up to him he put his hand out and asked me for this dance. As he pulled me in close to him he told me to listen, and there it was- the muffled sound of Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" coming down the hall. We slow danced in the hallway, my first slow dance with my love and it was so perfect and sweet. He had requested it to be played again. After our moment was over, we walked back into the banquet hall and the DJ then saw Courtney and played it AGAIN! Apparently Courtney told him the story and told the DJ to play it when he saw me come back from the bathroom but ended up playing it right after Courtney asked while I was in the bathroom. Now whenever this song comes on no matter where we are, we drop everything and slow dance to the song.



But I'm not 100% sure I want this song to be our "first dance" song. I would kind of like to start a new tradition. With that being said, I'm trying to talk Courtney into one of these three songs:

1. Van Morrison- These are the days- This song makes me think of Courtney- it's so beautiful and talks about the moment being here and now. And to appreciate what you have. Love, love, love it!



2. Rob Thomas: Little Wonders - another beautiful song



3.Christina Perri- Thousand Years- No, this has nothing to do with Twilight's Wedding scene. Well, okay, maybe a little. It is a wedding scene after all so it must be a good wedding song, right? Well first off, it's a beautiful song, and second off, Christina is an old friend of mine so it has more meaning to me.





Anyhow, these would be my top 3 picks. I'm not 100% sure what Courtney's are, but I guess you won't find out what we actually pick until July 7, 2012!!

No comments:

Post a Comment