Monday, July 23, 2012

Incorporating Grandma Into our Special Day

Since grandma could not be there to join us for our wedding, I dedicated many a decor/things in our wedding to incorporate her into our special day. This is getting a bit ahead of the game on the recaps. But I cannot help myself because I am thinking dearly of my grandma tonight. So how did grandma attend our wedding without being present here on earth? Here's how:

1. Little odds and ends. I made all the light lanterns out of doilies from my grandma's place. I placed a light inside and they lit up the night! They were hung along side the chandelier, etc. "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine,let it shine!"

2. The family photos area. We had a table displaying the family wedding photos. We acquired everyone's except Chad and Noelle's wedding photo and grandma and grandpas (on both sides for me). Never did get either or. But instead, I felt that it would be decent to reflect the last photo I have with my grandma while she was here with us. I honestly did not plan on her frame being black. It was more of the last minute shuffle of things- but in a way, it seemed to be representing who I was trying to reflect a lot of the wedding based of off.
3. The cake stand board. When grandma was here her last year of life- she had a stroke. Honestly, we all thought this would be the last few moments with grandma. I flew down there on a whim to spend time with her and caught up with her in the hospital and then later in rehab. We ran through a slideshow of Costa Rica (which I found out about my grandma's declining health initially and remembering running into the ocean in tears and staying out there for about half an hour- running my hands over the waves and thinking how much my grandma would love to be there experiencing Costa Rica, as well being with people- she seemed so lonely). When I was visiting her in rehab after she was slowly regaining herself and her speech post stroke, it was the first time I had seen her since I was proposed to by Courtney. I asked her,
"Grandma, if you could give me any advice about marriage, what would it be?"
And she said to me very, slowly, (from the stroke) but thoughtfully,
"Make sure you are loved, and that you love him so much in return."
I took every ounce of those words, and cherished them close to my heart. My grandma, whom I grew up with, cared for me, taught me many things about life, and most of all inspired me. But she is right about marriage. So many people settle. They want to get married just to claim they are married or they just want to have a family. But why rush it? Why settle it? Courtney came into my life when I was with someone else, and he took me by storm. And everyday since, he praises me and tells me how much he loves me- and I return the love too. That is why I think this saying is so important. My grandma nailed it on the head, and she knew our relationship without really knowing our relationship. That is how amazing she was.

3. The weather. Dun Dun Dun! I will be completely honest and say I did not have a Plan B for an outdoor ceremony/reception except to wing it with everyones help if it did rain. Welp... The weather forecast up until day of called for possible thunderstorms at 30%. 30 whopping percent. That is to cover their butts really in case it does thunderstorm. We woke up to a partly sunny morning. As the day progressed though, it got cloudier and cloudier. Someone texted me with news that it was raining out. I looked out and saw it was already sprinkling rain. My heart melted. Now what. Honestly, I thought- screw it. Let everyone else figure it out. I've planned for 14 months for this day, I wasn't about to ruin this day by last minute plan B'ing it. Regardless, we loaded into the cars and continued on our way to our first look/wedding party location for the photos. When we arrived, it was raining. Not down-pouring, not sprinkling, but a good constant drizzle. We waited for about 15 minutes in the car for Courtney to arrive and this is a weather snapshot I saved while checking the weather during the wait.
Turns out the men were late (due to a bow tie tieing error we can get into later...) but in the 15 minutes, it went from raining, to stopping. During that time I slightly panicked, maybe took it out on my dad and yelled him for accidentally opening the side car door automatically (sorry!) in fears Courtney would drive by me and see me before our first look. I can tell you that in my memory, it was the minute Courtney showed up, it stopped raining. So maybe all those debates about one of us being cursed with bad weather has shown it's ugly face. I am the cursed one. Well just so you know, the weather ended up shifting course to the East, not North, which is the typical weather route here in New England. Hence, I was freaking out pretty good in the car there. My dad said,
"Don't worry, your grandma is looking out for you today."
He was, in fact- very right. To this day, we consider the weather a miracle performed by my grandma in heaven. It brings me to tears thinking about it. The weather pattern does not ever happen here in New England, ever. Thank you grandma, for looking after us on one of our special days in life. We love you and miss you dearly- but can obviously tell you are happy and in heaven and reflecting that down on us :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Liz. I loved this. I may need to do something similar to remember my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I was there on the day and knew about all of these touches, reading this blog definitely made me tear up. Your grandma gave you just a little bit of rain for good luck and then a beautiful afternoon!!

    ReplyDelete